There are several key considerations to make when identifyign the most effective and appropriate display for use in a dashboard.
Designers must answer these three essential questions:
- How big is the display?
- Who are the users or intended audience?
- Which display method communicates most effectively and without sacrificing meaningfulness?
In addition to these three essential questions, additional considerations have to be taken into account in order to inform the decision making in the design:
- What is the message the dashboard communicates?
- What data and how must the data be presented in order to communicate this message clearly?
- Should the data be presented for global information processing (images, graphics), or serial processing (text, numbers), or through a combination of both?